Spelt bread recipe wanted

Bonni Lee Brown <brown@coastalnet.com>
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:13:17 -0500
v099.n009.2
I was wondering if anyone has made Spelt bread that would be okay for a
vegan (no dairy products) and would share their experience & the recipe.
I know there are commercial loaves, consisting of spelt flour, water,
salt & yeast, and wonder why they are soft ... although they contain no
wheat flour?

Too bad Reggie that I just bought Peter Reinhart's new book, "Crust and
Crumb"...  I've only had a chance to make a few loaves so far. By
mistake I made the pre-ferment for the wrong bread, so we wound up
eating french boules instead of foccaccia ... next time! The book is a
good read and the starter and dough did have a wonderful "feel" to it.

I appreciate reading the various recipes posted, although it appears
that I am in the minority, baking bread without an ABM. So amazing that
endless varieties of bread can be made from a few simple ingredients.
I'm with you Ruth, "keep baking".

Here's a wonderful Blueberry Corn muffin (can also be baked in a loaf)
from Bon Appetit which won me a 1st prize ribbon at our local Blueberry
Festival. Enjoy!

BLUEBERRY CORN MUFFINS

All ingredients should be at room temperature.

1   C		Flour (all purpose)
1   C		Yellow cornmeal
1   Tbl	Baking powder (double-acting)
1   tsp	Salt
1 stick 	Butter, unsalted, melted and cooled
1 large 	Egg
1/3 C		Honey
1/3 C		Sugar
3/4 C		Milk
2     C		Blueberries, cleaned
			Butter for greasing muffin pan(s)

Preheat oven to 425F and place rack in the middle of oven.  Butter
muffin pan(s).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and
salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, honey, sugar, and
milk.

Gently stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until
the batter is just combined.  Fold in the blueberries.

Divide the batter among the 12 pre-buttered 1/2-cup muffin
indentations.  Bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 425F. oven
for 15 minutes or until they are golden and a tester comes out clean.
If necessary, bake a few minutes more.  Remove from pan(s) and cool
muffins on a rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

NOTE:  Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.  To prevent blueberries
from sinking to the bottom, dust them with flour in a strainer and shake
off excess flour, before adding to recipe.

Bonni