Freezing Bread Dough

Karen Wheless <kwheless@rockland.net>
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:49:44 -0400
v099.n021.6
Has anyone had any experience in freezing bread dough?  I have a bread
machine, but I've never had the timer work properly, I always have to
adjust the recipe with a little extra flour or a little extra water, and
when I use the timer it never comes out right.  But I'd love to be able to
have fresh warm bread at dinner after work - and not have to wait until 10
pm to get it!

I'd like to be able to mix up the dough on the dough cycle, remove it after
the appropriate time, and then freeze.  And then take it out of the
freezer, defrost while I'm at work or asleep, and then just bake in the
oven when I get home.  I know it may not be quite as good as unfrozen
dough, but I'm sure it would be better than store bought.  It would
especially be nice to be able to defrost in the refrigerator, since my
house varies widely in temperature - very cold in the winter and hot in the
summer.  I had moderate success with the frozen bread dough you buy at the
store, but I'd like to make my own - and have a better idea of how long to
leave it to defrost before baking.  I had some loaves either overrise and
others not rise much at all (one refused to rise, I finally threw it away
thinking the yeast was bad, and then it rose like crazy and overflowed in
my trash!)

Thanks,
Karen Wheless