Re: Gluten-Free Recipes

Phil Landis <plandis@spacey.net>
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:44:13 -0400
v099.n033.1
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 at 09:17:03 -0400, Raimee Esposito wrote:

>I need recipes for Gluten-Free recipes. I have a brother-n-law that cannot
>eat anything with gluten.
>
>We have a bread machine and would like any recipes you would have for
>gluten-free bread, rolls, buns, etc.
>
>Please respond.
>Thank you

        Bread Machine Recipes, updates, version 1.0

Copyright Michael Jones, Bill Elkus, Jim Lyles, and Lisa Lewis
1999 - All rights reserved worldwide

These recipes were posted to the Celiac LISTSERV(R) during 1999.
Ingredients can change or local adaptions may not be available in other
areas, so caution is recommended in the use of any ingredient.  These
recipes have not been indepently tested for accuracy.

If you elect to make a recipe, we would appreciate your thoughts on the
quality of the recipe.  Any recommendations for improvement would be
posted as an update to the recipe.  If you find a recipe enjoyable,
please send a note to Mike Jones (mjones@digital.net) so that it can be
marked as acceptable in a planned recipe index.

REC94-4 (The 1994 postings)
REC95-1, REC95-2, REC95-3, REC95-4 (The 1995 postings
REC96-1, REC96-2, REC96-3, REC96-4 (The 1996 postings)
REC97-1, REC97-2, REC97-3, REC97-4 (The 1997 postings)
REC98-1, REC98-2, REC98-3, REC98-4 (The 1998 postings)
REC99-1, REC99-2, REC99-3, REC99-4 (The 1999 postings)
RECIPEU  (Updates to the annual recipe file)
BREADM94 (1994 postings of bread machine recipes)
BREADM95 (1995 postings of bread machine recipes)
BREADM96 (1996 postings of bread machine recipes)
BREADM97 (1997 postings of bread machine recipes)
BREADM98 (1998 postings of bread machine recipes)
BREADMU  (Updates to the annual recipe file)
BREADM99 (This file)

These other recipe files are available by sending:

    GET CELIAC XXXXX  to LISTSERV@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

Where XXXXX is the name in the list above.  Repeat the command on
successive
line for each file that you desire.

Additional GF recipes may be found in the cookbooks listed in the cookbook
file on this LISTSERV.  It is available by sending

    GET CELIAC COOKBOOK

to LISTSERV@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

<<Disclaimer:  Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Index of recipes~Index of recipes~Index of recipes~Index of recipes~

Bread using Zojirushi BBCC V20
Reference File ~ Bread Machine Tips
Bread Machine
    Basic Bread
    Walrus Bread
    YEAST DOUGH BREADFREEZING
    Yeast For Bread Machines

Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~Breads~
From:       John Dankowych <jondank@interlog.com>
Subject:        Bread using Zojirushi BBCC V20

I modified Bette's recipes for the BBCC V20

WET INGREDIENTS
4 whole eggs (I used 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites in first loaf)
1 3/4 cups water
4 tablespoons melted clarified butter
1 1/3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses

DRY INGREDIENTS
3 cups white rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca
3 tablespoons potato flakes (are these the same as potato buds?)
3 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 teaspoons egg replacer - (ENER G)
2 tablespoons sugar (I used 6 tablespoons sugar in the first loaf - it
tasted almost like cake)

YEAST
3 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free (regular) yeast (I used 3 teaspoons in the
second loaf)

Zojirushi BBCC-V20 Cycle times
Pre-heating    22 min
Knead            20 min (was 30 min in first two loaves)
Rise 3            70 min
Bake              70 min
From:       "C. M. D'Orazio" <catsfoot@sprint.ca>
Subject:    Reference File ~ Bread Machine Tips

Baking Tips Guide For Yeast Breads

Information Text

Loaf Rises Then Falls (Crated Loaf)

-Decrease water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Increase salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Decrease yeast by 1/2 tsp. or
-Flour, too fine or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Loaf Sides Caved In:

-Decrease water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Increase salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Decrease yeast by 1/2 tsp. or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Loaf Rises Too High (Mushroom Loaf)

-Decrease water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Increase salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Decrease sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Decrease flour by 2 Tbs. or
-Decrease yeast by 1/2 tsp. or
-Used wrong type instead of dry granular yeast or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Loaf Does Not Rise Enough
-Increase water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Decrease salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Increase sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Increase yeast by 1/2 tsp. or
-Not enough water or milk or
-Flour too old or
-Flour too low in gluten content or
-Flour too fine or
-Used wrong type of yeast instead of dry granular or
-Accidentally measured salt in Tbs. instead of tsp. or
-Ingredients not measured properly.
Flat Loaf, Little To No Rising, Short and Heavy

-Liquid too hot or too cold or
-Flour too old or
-Flour low in gluten content or
-No yeast added or
-Yeast too old or
-Used wrong type of yeast instead of dry granular or
-Accidentally measured salt in Tbs. instead of teaspoon or
-Ingredients not measured properly or
-Breadmaker unplugged or power interruption.

Crust Too Dark

-Decrease sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Crust Too Light

-Decrease salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Increase sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Ingredients not measured properly or
-Breadmaker unplugged or power interruption or
-Incorrect bread setting was used.

Uncooked or Partially Cooked

-Decrease water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Breadmaker unplugged or power interruption or
-Incorrect bread setting was used.

Overcooked

-Decrease sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Incorrect bread setting was used.

Not Mixed or Partially Mixed

-Not enough water or milk or
-Flour too fine or
-Ingredients not measured properly or
-Breadmaker unplugged or power interruption or
-Baking pan not properly seated inside breadmaker or
-Kneading blade not installed correctly.

Loaf is Soggy

-Bread not removed from baking pan soon after baking.

Gnarly Knotted Top

-Increase water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Decrease flour by 2 Tbs. or
-Not enough water or milk or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Loaf Core Texture Open, Coarse or Uneven

-Increase salt by 1/4 tsp. or
-Decrease yeast by 1/2 tsp. or
-Forgotten salt or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Loaf Core Texture Heavy and Dense

-Increase sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Decrease flour by 2 Tbs. or
-Increase yeast by 1/2 tsp.
-Used wrong type of yeast instead of dry granular or
-Ingredients not measured properly.

Burning Odor During Operation:

-Ingredient spilled inside breadmaker and/or heating element or
-See Mushroom Loaf Solutions for bread mushroomed over edge of bread pan,
crust burned.

High Altitude Adjustment

-Decrease water or milk by 2 Tbs. or
-Decrease sugar or honey by 1 tsp. or
-Decrease yeast by 1/2 tsp.

Breadmaker Cannot be Programmed or Started

-Breadmaker unplugged or power interruption or
-Breadmaker too hot, allow to cool 15 minutes between baking cycles or
-Breadmaker malfunctioning.

Loaf Burned Completely

-Breadmaker malfunctioning.

~~~
Bread Machine Tips

Amount Measure Ingredient - Preparation Method Directions Only

Bread Machine Tips

1.Use good quality hard wheat unbleached, unbromated flour that has at
least 12 grams of protein per cup. (I like King Arthur)

2.Use fresh, quick dissolving active yeast, not rapid rise.

3.Open the machine and check the dough during the first 5 - 10 minutes
of the first kneading cycle!!! Even if your manual says not to do it:
flour acts as a sponge absorbing moisture on wet days and becoming
dehydrated during dry weather. You'll have to adjust for fluctuating
humidity and barometric pressure by adding small amounts of flour or
liquid to the dough.

4.If you've never made bread before and don't know what dough is
supposed to look like, buy a package of frozen bread dough (at your
local supermarket), and let it defrost according to the package
directions. Place it on a lightly floured surface and play with it until
you are familiar with the consistency. This is what you're aiming for in
the bread machine.

5.Now, to adjust the dough in your bread machine during the first knead
cycle: wait until the ingredients have been kneaded for 3-4 minutes. If
the dough looks sticky and wet and is coating the bottom and sides of
the pan, then sprinkle in flour, a tablespoon at a time (you may need up
to an extra 1/2 cup) while the machine is kneading, until you have a
smooth, supple ball of dough. If the mixture is dry and corrugated
looking or the dough doesn't hold together then sprinkle in additional
liquid, a little at a time, until the dough is smooth and pliable and
forms a cohesive ball. If you've wandered away from your machine only to
return to find a wet messy glob or a dry desert thumping around in the
machine, press stop (you can do this at any time - except if the machine
has gone into the bake cycle), add a small amount of flour or liquid and
press start. Stick around and make additional adjustments, if necessary,
until the dough looks right.

6.I have found that when you are either making dough, or placing the
ingredients in the machine to make bread at that time, you can add
either the liquids first or the dry ingredients first. The major
exception to this is the old dank (no longer made) where the yeast must
be placed in the bread pan first in a position farthest away from the
kneading blade. When programming ahead make sure to place any dried
fruits away from contact with wet ingredients as they will absorb those
liquids and throw off the recipe. Extra kneads and extra rise times all
contribute to the depth of flavor, character of the crumb and general
personality of a loaf of bread. One of the reasons I dislike rapid rise
yeast and rapid cycles on the bread machines is that the dough really
requires the entire life span of the yeast to become the amazing miracle
that is bread. If you are partial to whole grain breads and are winding
up with lower loaves than you wish, then try a double knead cycle: place
the ingredients in the machine and program for dough or manual. At the
end of the final knead reprogram the machine for bread (of Whole Wheat)
and press start. You've given the dough an extra work-out to develop the
gluten - that will result in a higher loaf. For an even higher loaf you
can (if your machine permits) program for a longer rise time, or simply
remove the dough from the pan after the final rise cycle (but before
baking) transfer it to a bread pan and allow it to raise in a warm place
until doubled in bulk. Then bake it in the oven. Sweet doughís with lots
of butter and eggs also respond well to a second long rise in a cool
place. I remove my brioche from the machine after the dough cycle is
complete. I place it in a large freezer strength zip lock bag and
refrigerate it overnight. Then I place it back in the machine (my
Zojirushi has flexible programming), program for 2nd rise and bake. If
you can't program your machine this way you can place the dough in a
bread pan after you remove it from the machine, give it a long,
refrigerated rise, and then bake it in the oven. Even non-wheat and
non-sweet doughís can benefit from this extra rise.

~~~~
No Yeast Bread

Yeast Replacement

This works good just uses the same amount as you use yeast

1 c Lecithin granules
1 tbs. Vitamin C powder
1 tbs. Ginger, ground

Mix all ingredients and store in tightly closed glass jar.  Add to
breadmaker in
amount equal to yeast with other dry ingredients.  Start machine.
Apparently,
the ginger gooses the yeast and makes it act more swiftly, the ascorbic
acid
strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin aids the oil in causing the
strands of
gluten to slip against each other more easily and thus rise better.

Diane