Sourdough power - sort of.

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:47:12 -0700
v099.n046.7
I have a sourdough starter that is almost 35 years old - maintained for
years by my aunt and by me for the past 13 years.
A friend asked me to send her a "start" and I packed some into a heavy
stainless container with a screw top, allowing enough room for expansion
(I thought) and shipped it  overnight express.  Unfortunately, it was an
exceptionally hot and humid day on the receiving end and the driver had
a bit of trouble with his truck which delayed delivery by several hours
(My friend lives in a very rural area).

By the time it was delivered the package was emitting a pungent odor and
the driver asked my friend if it was "toxic".    She said that when she
opened it the stainless steel container was deformed and the top had
been forced off.
However not all was lost, she salvaged what she could popped it into the
fridge and the next day "fed and watered" it, returned it to the
fridge.  She tested it the following day and it is still good.  Made
great waffles and pancakes  and  a couple of days later a batch of
sourdough bread.
Successful transplant!!!

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be