stove top (or campfire) baking

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:33:10 -0700
v099.n046.8
You asked -
>Any ideas for baking bread on a gas cook stove or gas grill? I was
>thinking of including Y2K options in my fall bread calss and thought
>this might work - especially since quantity grain sales seem to be up
>this year.  Any suggestions - or other Y2K ideas for grains?

>Kathy Rucker
>Heart Healthy Breads and Soups

I have (in the past when I was younger and in shape to go camping) baked
bread in a cast iron dutch oven
on a camp stove and even on (or in) a campfire.  I had a 3 gallon
stainless steel bucket in which the dough was mixed in the morning and
carried along, hung from my saddle all day to let the yeast "work".
When I was ready to bake it off, I greased the dutch oven, pulled off
fist-sized pieces of the dough, dipped them in soft butter, packed the
pieces into the oven, put the lid on and put the oven on top of a
griddle on the stove top or into the coals of the campfire and put a few
coals on top of the oven (flat lid made for this).  On the stove top it
baked in about an hour, in the coals it baked in about 40 minutes.   You
have to check on it after 30 minutes, use a fork to lift up one side to
check the bottom.  Even if it gets a little scorched, it is still good.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be