new recipie

LDavis47@aol.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:26:55 EDT
v099.n048.17
This is my first attempt at sending material to a mail exchange, so please
pardon any egregious errors.
I tend to use my machine (old Wellbilt that looks like R2D2) to mix and kneed
my doughs then shape, proof and bake in assorted styles and containers,
unless I don't have much time or am feeling lazy.

My resources are mainly from
1. The Village Baker
    Joe Ortiz
    Ten Speed Press, 1997
2. The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook
    Brinna Sands
    Countryman Press, 1992
3. New Complete Book of Breads
    Bernard Cayton
    Fireside Press, 1995

I usually don't follow the recipe but instead adjust to my needs and whims,
adding and subtracting ingredients.

Here is a simple 3 cup recipe for an Onion Wheat:
2 tsp. yeast
2 cup (8oz) white flour
1 cup (4oz) whole wheat
2 Tbs. dry milk
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. dry onion
2 Tbs. light olive oil
1/4 cup Harvest Grains mixture (or any combination of seeds and oatmeal)
1 cup plus 2Tbs warm water (bottled or from the morning tea kettle - chlorine
inhibits yeast)I usually microwave 1 min. on high

If you measure rather than weigh the flour you will probably need more water.
The dough should be soft but not sticky after 5 min of kneading.

5 min before the end of the last kneed, I add 1 tsp salt. Or if you want just
dump it in with the rest of the ingredients in the beginning.

Set to dark crust or bake at 400 for 20 to 30 min depending on the shape.

This bread smells great baking because of the milk, has a crisp crust and
soft crumb.
Lloyd D.