Mixers and Black Russian Bread

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@GOULSTORRS.COM>
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:20:06 -0400
v099.n051.11
Hi!  I am new to the list, but that has never stopped me from giving my
opinion before!

Two thoughts on the most recent digest:  As to the difference between the
heavy duty mixers, the Baker's Catalogue (King Arthur Flour) has an ongoing
series commenting on the pros and cons of the Kitchenaid vs. the Magic Mill
(I think -- not sure of the brand of the second one, since I am a diehard
Kitchenaid fan).  Anyway, definitely worth checking out.

I would like to second the request for a recipe for "Black Russian Bread."
What I am looking for is what sells (at outrageous prices!) at Zabar's and
other bakeries in New York; it is a small, square, really dark loaf that has
raisins and several kinds of seeds in it.  It is wonderfully chewy and
moist, and makes outstanding toast.  It does not have an overwhelming rye
taste to it, and the raisins give a real sweetness.  I have tried the recipe
in The Silver Palate, but it is not the same.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!  Barbara