Question for Willie Prejean (or whomever!)

John and Saundra Murren <jmurren@harborside.com>
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 06:53:14 -0700
v099.n055.8
We are honored in our humble group to include Mr Prejean amongst us
occasionally - his website is certainly one where we can learn much from a
professional's professional.  If I may, I'd like to ask a question of him,
or anyone else who may have an insight into this issue.  On his sight, Mr
Prejean goes to some lengths to scientifically present a formula that
includes chilling everything during the creation of the dough.  However, to
us novices, this seems contrary to the theory that yeast needs warmth in
order to do its magic.  Is the chilling process related to the need, for
instance, for rustic breads to undergo a period of "chilled rest" to
develop more flavor?  Do most professional bakeries use this process?  And
if so, why do we not see this reflected in more recipes?

TIA,
jm