Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread

"Christine Dalrymple" <cddalrymple@email.msn.com>
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:20:52 -0500
v099.n055.11
Banana Nut Oatmeal Bread

I found this at AllRecipes.com (submitted by Sherry). This is a fantastic
bread...moist and chewy with a crisp crust. I have included the original ABM
recipe even though I made the loaves by hand. (Don't worry...I read the
archived lists and will NOT offer any opinions on ABM vs. by hand!!!!) These
are the changes I made: doubled all ingredients except oil. Used 1 T (not a
typo) canola. Instead of all-purpose flour--used 1/2 King Arthur Special for
Machines and 1/2 King Arthur White Whole Wheat. Baked at 375F for 45 min in
two 9x5 pans. Bread gets very brown; covered with foil after 25 minutes.

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1 T
4 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup steel cut oats (such as McCann's Irish Oats)
1/3 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Soak the steel cut oats in the boiling water until the mixture is at room
temperature.

2. Place ingredients in order suggested by your manufacturer. Select fruit
and nut or basic setting. Add walnuts when indicated by your manufacturer.