Re: What makes good taste?

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:09:15 -0500
v099.n064.20
Frank Brewster wrote in his subject line:
| Subject: What makes good taste?

 "The primary requisite for  writing well about food is a good appetite.''
A.J. Liebling

| - In note V099.n061.1, ?Jazzbel? says that  ?Granary flour is a
whole-wheat
| flour with added malt wheat flakes.? Is this a valid definition?

 Ken Larsen originally inquired about the granary bread he tasted while
traveling in England.
Granary Meal is a proprietary recipe(Like Coca-Cola) of Granary Foods.
The substitute recipe I gave came from the English edition of Good
HouseKeeping.  Elizabeth David suggests no substitute but says Granary Meal
contains rye in addition to malted wheat flakes.  I suppose one can
experiment with his own recipe, perhaps substituting some of the flour for
rye..

 And what
| are malt wheat flakes?

Malt is a grain which is sprouted, dried, then ground.  Barley malt is the
most common.
This is wheat malt.
Therefore, fine bulgur wheat is a good candidate for a substitute.
I am told that malted wheat flakes are available from KA--but KA is beyond
reach for me.

|And, pray tell, what means ?AFAIK??

AFAIK it used to mean "As far as I know".

| - Your readers rave about the taste of some breads in Germany. Do you
know,
| what is the secret ingredient?

Joe Ortiz concluded in "The Village Baker" that it is a drop of the baker's
sweat. :-))

Later,
Jazzbel