Sally Lunn

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:40:09 -0800 (PST)
v099.n068.8
Some years ago, I asked this list for an ABM recipe for Sally Lunn. In
sifting through the answers (and a few cookbooks) I realized it was a
batter bread that really couldn't be made right in the bread machine.
And I've been making it quite well without the machine ever since.

I picked up a little brochure called CLASSIC ESSENTIAL BREAD AND ROLLS
at Powell's Bookstore last week. It's not an ABM book, but many of the
recipes use 4 cups of flour, which is the capacity of my machine. And
since I wanted a nice bread for breakfast company today I knew I had to
make it in the machine. So I gave one more Sally Lunn recipe a try in
the machine, and the results were excellent. Not the cake-like texture
I've come to expect, but the flavor is wonderful and it holds together
very well.

SALLY LUNN

3/4 C milk
1/4 C warm water
3 eggs
1/3 C honey
4 oz butter, melted
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 C flour
1/4 oz dry yeast
Use sweet bread setting if available.

And, for those of you who prefer the "real thing," this is the non-ABM
recipe I've been using for years. (It was developed for high altitude
baking, and I've been refining it ever since I came down from the
mountains, but am not finished yet. It seems to work okay here, but
I've reduced the vital wheat gluten and replaced the oil with an
additional Tb of butter...)

SALLY LUNN (1 loaf)

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 C lukewarm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 stick butter
3 TB oil
1 C milk
4 C white flour, preferably unbleached
1 TB vital wheat gluten (available on baking supplies aisle at
supermarket)
1/3 C sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted

Dissolve yeast in warm water; add sugar and set aside. Warm butter, oil
and milk just until all is melted, then let stand until lukewarm. Sift
together flour, sugar, and salt. (Sifting, even if the package says the
flour is pre-sifted, seems to greatly improve baking at this altitude.
I don't know why; it just does.) Beat eggs thoroughly and combine with
milk and yeast mixture. Beat well. Add flour and beat well. Place a
wooden spoon in the dough, cover bowl lightly with a towel, and place
in warm, draft-free place to rise. Every 20 minutes, beat dough down,
re-cover, and allow to rise again. Do this for at least 3 hours.
(Really, you have to do this or it won't have the proper texture.)
After the last beating, put dough in a well-greased bundt or tube pan,
cover
with towel, and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 325°F.
Bake for 45-60 minutes, basting with melted butter during last 10
minutes of baking. It is done when it is golden in color.

=====

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
http://www.cats-cradle.com/hearthstone/index.html

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to read them the road map...