cost to bake a loaf

CHAMBERS <captnemo@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:18:52 -0600 (CST)
v100.n001.23
Anyone ever figured out what it costs to bake a loaf of bread? I'd want to
include a complete list of costs: flour, yeast, (well, maybe not water!),
electricity at least.  I've been challenged by a friend who thinks it's
more expensive to bake at home than buy good bread at a local bakery shop.
I'm thinking here of the costs of baking plain white loaves in a regular
oven, not using a bread machine. I think my friend was including the costs
of amortizing a bread machine over X loaves ... (dear me). I don't suppose
there are many who bake bread to save money but it would be interesting to
see whether this "know-it-all" actually knows it all.

Don Chambers