sour bread

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:28:28 -0700
v100.n004.8
 >Erin Nesmith <enesmith@earthlink.net> wrote:
 >Subject: my sourdough isn't sour
 >..snip..while the texture and appearance have been fine, there just hasn't
 >been much sour taste.  They both tasted like white bread.  Do starters get
 >more tangy as they age?  ...snip .... but I don't want a recipe that
begins >with: "Day One..."

My starter's been going for over 25 years (and supposedly was 100 years old
before I got it) and it's not sour, so don't count on age.  Sorry, but the
only thing I've found that works is adding a "Day Two" ... After you've
expanded your sourdough on Day One (by taking it out of the refrigerator
and adding flour and water and letting it sit overnight), mix the amount
required by your recipe with about 2 cups of the flour and the rest of the
dry ingredients and let it sit overnight again.  Add the rest of the stuff
the next day and bake as usual.  When I did this, my bread was sour.