English Muffins

Sue Hermosillo <sueherm@pacbell.net>
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 20:53:14 -0800
v100.n004.14
Here is an english muffin recipe that my family and I love.  It came with
the english muffin rings I ordered from the King Arthur Cat. and says it is
"adapted from one found in Judith and Evan Jones' 'The Book of Bread'.   I
usually double it and mix it in the Kitchen Aid then bake the muffins on a
large electric griddle at 325F rather than the 350F the recipe calls for.
Although it calls for Non-instant dried milk, I have made it with instant
non-fat dried  and with fresh or soured milk (reducing the water) and those
work fine, too.

ENGLISH MUFFINS
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 tablespoons non-instant dried milk
2 teaspoons salt
3 to 3 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

     In a medium mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the
water.  Beat in the dried milk and salt.  Add 2 cups of the flour and beat,
either by hand or with an electric mixer, for several minutes.  Continue to
beat in the remaining flour until the dough is like thick pancake batter
bur more gummy and just beginning to leave the sides of the bowl.  Add a
little more flour if necessary to reach this consistency.

     Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a cozy place for about 1 1/2
hours, or until doubled in bulk.  After this time, stir down the dough and
let it rest, covered, while you prepare to bake the muffins.  Thoroughly
grease the inside of your English muffin rings with shortening, butter or
nonstick cooking spray.  Heat a large heavy skillet until almost smoking,
then brush with shortening or oil, and set the rings inside ( it should
hold 4).  Alternately, heat an electric griddle to 350F.

     Lower the heat slightly and transfer about 14 cup of dough to each
ring.  The easiest way to do this is to pick up a medium-sized gluey,
gloppy handful of it, slip it into the ring and then ease it out with your
fingers to fill the entire ring.  (It isn't pretty, but it works!) Cook the
muffins over medium heat 5 minutes, by which time the top surface should
have lost its
moist look.  Now lift the rings off (they'll be hot!) and turn each muffin
over to cook on the other side 5 minutes.  Flip the muffins a second time
and cook for a further 5 minutes.

     Repeat this procedure, greasing the rings again if necessary, to use
up the remaining dough.  Cool the muffins on racks, and store them in a
plastic bag until you are ready to toast them.  (Remember, split the
muffins apart first with your fingers or a fork; don't use a knife to cut
through them!)

Yield: 8 delicious muffins.