loaves with a tear along one side

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:45:13 -0500
v100.n006.4
 > From: "Eldon and Shanda Solomon" <elby1@globalsite.net>
 > Subject: My Two Cents
 > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:00:39 -0500
 >  <snip>
 > One problem I've had. . .sometimes my loaves come out of the oven sort of
 > exploded on one side.  There is a big seam or stretched place one  side.
 > The bread tastes fine, no one complains, but I'd love to know how to get my
 > loaves to come out prettier.
 > Thanks!
 > Shanda

I  have that problem too, though less often or less severely than I used
to. It turns out to be because the loaf was not allowed to rise
sufficiently before being baked. In my case it may be that I make the
loaves a little too big, or maybe I'm just impatient!

When you put the loaf into a hot oven the first 5 minutes heating causes a
surge in leavening action, causing the loaf to rise quickly. If it crusts
over (from the heat) before that surge finishes, the crust tears (almost
always along one side, though I've had occasions when it tore on both
sides, making the loaf look like a boy with a bowl-cut hairdo!) and you get
the funny-looking loaf.

Making the loaves a little smaller, and/or making sure they've risen enough
before baking (I find it hard to tell exactly when it has risen enough, and
I've been baking at home for over 20 years now) the problem will disappear
or at least reduce in severity. As you observe, the loaves still taste
great, though!

Fred
--
  .----    Fred