A submittal for your perusal from 'Abby Normal'

jillmyers1@juno.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:49:23 -0800
v100.n006.5
 >From: Erin Nesmith <enesmith@earthlink.net
 >Subject: my sourdough isn't sour
 >Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:59:52 -0600
 >my sourdough isn't sour

I've found this to be true sometimes.  First a couple of questions....
Q:  What yeast or starter are you using?
Q:  What recipe are you using?
In my experimentation the problem has to do with the type of yeast and its
growth rate when you've fed it.  If you have just put the flour in to feed
it -there won't be a highly concentrated / density of the yeast to give it
that sour 'personality' for lack of a better term.  I take this sourdough
stuff personal anyway.  I have tried to give it a rush job by adding just a
couple drops of rice wine vinegar and my taste testers thought it was
excellent.  Don't use more than 1 or 2 drops though, because it makes it
taste too much like the vinegar.  I tried apple cider and white vinegar
(only good for washing windows, if that) balsamic and of course the rice
wine vinegar had the flavor snap I was looking for.  **I DON'T recommend
using sour salt/ citric acid.  My doctor says it is very common for people
to have an allergic reaction to it. ** I use my KSM5 so I would need
somebody to clue me in on the bread machines timing and regular operative
procedures and a sample recipe for
plain sourdough bread if you would. I'll stop now before this turns into
the length of WAR AND PEACE.

LOVE Baking My Brains Out,
(LBMBO) Jill ;d

 >From: Peter Eisenreich <pete.and.nancy@juno.com
 >Subject: > Subject: cost to bake a loaf
 >Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:54:29 -0500

I've done cost analysis on a variety of cakes, pastries, rolls and catering
items and use the concept of breaking down the cost per ingredient and how
much  of each is used in that particular item as opposed to the amount
that  comes in a package.  [Professionally the costs are a bit more
complicated. Can you say payroll?] The  half-sheets, baking pans and
utensils are pretty much paid from the point-of-view that they will be good
for a lifetime.   But ONLY if you DON'T wash tinware! [watch out!... we're
going on a tangent.....] Keep it well oiled with baby oil/ mineral oil when
not in use and just wipe the interior clean before using.  Mineral oil is
sterile, doesn't cake up like other oils will.  The only way to win with
tinware is to keep the air and moisture away from the surface of the
pan.  I store my mini tart pans in an
airtight container with cornstarch and coat them really good after heating
them briefly in the oven so any moisture has been removed. Heat and spray
with vegaline is also an untested possibility <fading back into reality...>
So by my costs of a regular loaf of bread I'd use this break-down: Hotel
A/P Flour~ 25#@$4.00= .80 per 5lb flour / .16 per lb(2C.) Sugar ~10#@3.00=
.30 per lb (2C.) /.15 per C. or approx. .01per Tbsp Yeast ~2#@3.65=  $.91
per C. or approx. .06 per Tbsp

1#=2C.   ~ 16 Tbsp= 1C.=(4.5oz.-summer)5oz. -winter by scale for flour
1#=2C.   ~ 16 Tbsp= 1C.=7oz. by scale for sugar
(We'll not consider yeast by weight)

Now, the natural gas used to bake 40 minutes-residential rate?  My
So.Cal.Gas Co.  bill cost $29.18 for the month of December and I bake on a
whim at any given moment.  Make that $30. dollars for 30 days ; that's a
dollar a day.  That same heat warms my home... so I don't know about your
cost, but mine is definately the THE BEST DEAL IN TOWN!

Jill

Reggie-
My address and phone number in case anyone wants to join my class in
"Serious Goofing-Around"

Jill Myers-Fuentes                               (310) 530 1951
25829 1/4 Appian Way
Lomita, CA 90717-3327
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.