Bialys

"Glenn" <rockymtn@sprynet.com>
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:11:01 -0700
v100.n006.8
Hi All.

This question is basically addressed to New Yorkers but if you know the
answer anyway, jump on in.

There is a recipe that I've been having an unusual amount of difficulty
finding.  They are called BIALYS (pronounced bee-ah-lee).  I may be off on
the spelling.  I think they are Jewish.  They are in most NYC bagel stores
that do their own baking.  They are the size of a bagel except there is no
hole.  The center is pressed flat and some onion and/or garlic and other
spices are sprinkled in the center.  The dough seems more like pizza crust
than like a bagel.

If anyone has the recipe, could you please post it?  I doubt it would be a
bread machine recipe (except of course to use the dough cycle).

In lieu of the recipe, if anyone in NY would care to ship some to me, I'll
love that too!  Email me privately!  I grew up in New York City and I miss
these things!  (Canolis too!)

Thanks and thanks to all for the horizontal loaf machine info.  I will buy
one when I replace my 8 year old Hitachi that is still serving me well.

Glenn in Den.