Cheese making

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:20:13 -0800
v100.n011.7
I have made cheese for most of my life - growing up on a farm, one learns
these things.  I get pasturized (not homogenized) milk from a local
dairyman.  I make cottage cheese, cream cheese, soft cured cheeses with
flavors and have made cheddar-type and Caerphilly-type cheeses (hard
cheeses). I have a cheese press which will make an 8 pound wheel
(approx).   Stella cheese company sells innoculants but it has been quite a
few years since I have bought them.  Once you have a "starter" you can keep
it going.   I also make clotted cream - what the English refer to as double
Devon cream.   I have not had much success making Swiss-type cheeses
-  rubbery, I could make tires of the product.
Cheesemaking is fun and interesting but you do have to have room
enough.  You also have to have refrigerator room.  I have an extra fridge -
and I live alone.

For simple cream cheese,  and other home made cheeses, there is a great
book by Barry Bluestein & Kevin Morrissey,  "Home Made in the Kitchen" they
write for people who want to try something new but do not want to go into
great detail for a tryout.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be