convection ovens

"Bonni Brown" <bonnibakes@hotmail.com>
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:17:01 EST
v100.n015.17
I was following the thread about temperature & timing baking bread in a
convection oven and wonder if those of you with experience can help me. I am
baking in a commercial GE convection oven (can't turn off the fan) and find
that most things I make (breadsticks, biscotti, cookies, etc) do just fine
when baked at 275F. Now I'm ready to start baking bread. I recently bought a
Magic Mill (thanks to Dan & Christine for all of their help about that!) and
will report back on my experience once I've used it for a bit. So far I've
only used it once, to make dough for 6 loaves (my 350 watt KA strains at 3
loaves) and it was just fine. When I went to bake the free form loaves in my
usual way (on tiles with a pan of hot water beneath) the top of the bread
seemed to brown way too quickly. I ultimately baked it at 250F for a while
then turned up the temperature at the end to seriously brown it. It was
glazed with cornstarch & water and sprinkled with seeds and looked
beautiful. But, instead of a crisp exterior (which I always got in a
traditional oven), it was soft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bonni