sourdough in machine

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:09:30 -0800
v100.n015.22
I thought I had sent a post about this earlier in the week, however it did
not show up on the digests I got Saturday, so here goes again.

I have a "very" active sourdough starter that is at least 40 years old - I
have had it for 30 and I got it from my aunt. I make all kinds of things
with it,  English muffins, pancakes, waffles, breads, brioche, sweet rolls,
etc. etc. When I make pancakes it is not the typical sourdough pancakes,
i.e. thin and rubbery.  These are puffy and flavorful but they are a bit on
the tough side (great for pigs in a blanket). Anyway, I decided to try it
in my bread machine.

I used a packaged bread mix,  (without the packet of yeast which was included)
1 cup of my sourdough starter
The package called for 1 cup of water - I used 2/3rds of a cup because my
sourdough starter is already fairly moist.
I used the Oster Rapidbake     (Not at the rapidbake setting)
I set it on the "regular" setting (3 hours)
I let it run through the first knead  the machine warms up to 90-95F during
this phase.
I turned the machine off, restarted it  at the same setting and left it alone.
It came out beautifully proportioned, fine crumb, very tasty.
I brushed the top of the loaf with milk at the beginning of the bake cycle
- this makes the top crust brown.
By the way, this little machine has the horizontal loaf pan which makes a
2-pound loaf.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON
Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player