Re: Sourdough not sour

CLRob99@aol.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:44:42 EST
v100.n027.14
If the starter smells sour but the products you bake with it don't, there are
a couple of possibilities I can think of. One, you have to allow sourdough
PLENTY of time. A long slow proof and then a long slow rise before your final
shaping into loaves or rolls is imperative. Two, don't add commercial yeast!
I've seen many recipes for "sourdough" both in books and on the Internet that
call for added yeast, particularly for recipes trying to adapt sourdough to
bread machines. When you add a domestic yeast to a wild sourdough yeast, the
more aggressive commercial yeast will almost certainly overwhelm your "wild
child" and there goes your sourdough flavor.

Char