Trinidad Recipes

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:56:41 -0400
v100.n036.9
My love is from Trinidad. Does anyone have any real
recipes for breads from Trinidad, to help me win his
heart?

Elisabeth Keene

If he is of Indian descent, you would have to go for roti, naan, etc...

Other than that, they serve a lot of quick breads in the caribbean: banana
bread, avocado bread.
To make avocado bread, get a buttermilk banana-bread and substitute
avocado.
You might also want to use the traditional spices: nutmeg, allspice,
cinnamon, cloves, etc..
Here go a few recipes:

     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Rum-Raisin Banana Bread

Recipe By     : The Fannie Farmer Baking Book
Categories    :
    1      C             Raisins
    6      Tbsp          Rum(*)
    3      C             Flour
    1      Tsp           Baking Powder
    1      Tsp           Baking Soda
    1      Tsp           Salt
      1/2  C             Butter
    1      C             Sugar
    2                    Eggs -- Slightly Beaten
      1/3  C             Milk
    1      Cup           Mashed Bananas -- (2 Large Bananas)
      1/2  C             Walnuts(**) -- Chopped

Stir the raisins together and let sit at least 30 minutes.  Preheaty the
oven to 350F.  Grease and flour two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 in loaf pans.
Stir and toss together all dry ingredients.  Stir together butter, eggs,
banana, walnuts and raisins in the rum.  Add the mixed dry ingredients and
stir just until the butter is thoroughly blended.
Spread evenly in the prepared pans and bake for about 1 hour, or until a
skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.  remove from the
oven.  Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out to a rack to cool
completely.

                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : (*)If you do not have rum, use bourbon--the flavour is equally
good.
(**) I omitted the walnuts.

  *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                   Bakes

Recipe By     : Caribbean Cookbook-Rita Springer
Categories    : Caribbean

    1 1/2  cups          flour
    1      teaspoon      baking powder -- rounded
      1/2  teaspoon      salt
    2      teaspoons     sugar
    1      tablespoon    shortening
      1/4  cup           water
                         frying oil

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt.  Rub in fat.  Add dry ingredients to
make a soft dough.
Knead lightly, with floured hands, if needed.  Break off pieces and roll
into balls.  Flatten to 1/2 in thick.  Fry in hot oil or bake on a hot
greased tawa.

                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I leave to rise for the second time, it should be left until they are
almost doubled in bulk, but not quite.  The time depends on how hot and
humid it is.  An easy test is to take a small ball of dough and drop in a
glass of room temperature water, when it floats to the top, it's ready.
It will probably take longer than 15 min in a cold place.

                      *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                   Floats

Recipe By     : Caribbean Cookbook-Rita Springer
Categories    : Caribbean

    4      cups          flour
    2      teaspoons     yeast
    1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
      1/2  cup           shortening
                         warm water
                         frying oil

Sift flour and salt.  Rub in fat and make ity resemble bread crumbs.  Use a
little warm water to mix yeast and add to the flour mixture.
Knead lightly until smooth, leave to rise untild doubled in bulk. Cut in
pieces and roll into small balls.  Allow to rise for 15 min Flatten to 1/4
in thick.  Fry in hot oil, drain and serve hot.

Later, Jazzbel

  Some friend have a habit of wearing these big time shirt.
The other night a fella come and tell me "I wearing a $25 custom-made
shirt".
I look at him and laugh 'cause I remember when all of we used
to "Thank God for Robin Hood Flour".  That's right, Flour Bag...
--Ronnie butler "Goin' down Burma Road".