The Baking Sheet; KA mixers; NOT a cinnamon roll recipe

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 17:15:21 EDT
v100.n037.1
for:  Cindy
Central Texas
who asked:
Does anyone (or has anyone) subscribe to King Arthur's "The Baking Sheet"
newsletter??  Any comments good or bad about the newsletter?  Would you
recommend it to others?

I've been subscribing to The Baking Sheet since the 12/94 issue, and have
found it to be just wonderful.  Much like this list, it wanders back and
forth between science and art.  It's nicely seasonal and sometimes adds
recipes that just go well with the baked product of the moment (soups, stews,
desserts...).  It's a rare issue that I don't bake SOMETHING from, and I
always learn something fun and/or worthwhile.  There's a fair amount of
reader sharing-and-feedback too.  I never hesitate to renew.  Sometimes, by
the way, the KA catalogue runs a special and you can "earn" a free binder for
The Baking Sheet with a minimum purchase.  The binders are very sturdy (and
of course are the right size), they hold 2-3 years worth of the newsletter,
so the offer is worth watching out for.
For: "Jenny Hensley" <hensley@columbus.rr.com>

I'm currently shopping for a KA mixer..I notice they have the regular ones
that the bowl fits in the base and the head tilts , then they have newer ones
that the bowl
connects and gets moved up and down on the machine.

Hi, Jenny!  The difference between the mixers is not age but capacity.  The
"heads up" holds a 4.5 quart bowl, the stationary head holds a 5 quart bowl.
The stationery head one has a somewhat more powerful motor and, as I recall,
a lot more attachments.  (I have owned the big one for many years now.)  Now,
you're not out in the middle of a hundred-acre farmstead and may not need the
juicer and the pasta-plate attachments.  But there is a chilling bowl (holds
ice under the mixing bowl) and a copper bowl, plus few other "gee whiz"
things that may only be made for the larger machine.  Try your local
department store ... see if they have the "attachments" insert left in the
box from a machine they have on display.

I rarely mix  yeast bread in my KA but it turns out fine quick breads &
cookies, and I wouldn't make eggnog without it.
Here is a great Easter brunch recipe ... can be baked ahead and reheated/iced
that morning.  NOT a cinnamon roll recipe (grin!)

Orange-Glazed Chocolate-Orange Sweet Rolls

12  Servings

3/4 cup milk, whole
7   tablespoons orange juice, divided 1/4 c. + 3 T
10  tablespoons butter, divided 1/4 c. + 6 T; room temperature
2   eggs, large
3/4 cup sugar, divided 1/4 + 1/2
1   tablespoon orange peel, grated
1   teaspoon salt
1   tablespoon active dry yeast
4   cups flour
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate, chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
2   tablespoons Cointreau, or orange juice
1 1/4   cups powdered sugar

Butter two 9" diameter cake pans.

Combine milk, 1/4 cup orange juice & 4 T. butter in heavy small saucepan.
Stir over medium heat until mixture registers 120F on thermometer.  Whisk
eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, orange peel & salt in large bowl.  Gradually whisk in
heated milk mixture.  Add yeast, then flour, mixing until dough is moist.
Knead dough on floured work surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat.  Cover with plastic wrap
and let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 30
minutes.

Punch down dough and divide in half.  Roll 1 piece on floured work surface
into 12 x 18" rectangle.  Spread with 3 t. butter; sprinkle evenly with 1/3
cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup sugar.  Roll up from 1 long side; pinch log
at seam to seal.  Slice log into 12 rolls; place rolls, cut side down & side
by side, in single layer in one prepared pan.  Repeat with remaining dough,
butter, chocolate chips & sugar.  Cover rolls loosely; let rise until
doubled, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F.  Stir cream and Cointreau together; drizzle
evenly over rolls.  Bake until rolls are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.
  Cool 15 minutes.  (Can also be made 1 day ahead; cool completely in pans.
Cover & store at room temperature...rewarm in 350F oven until heated through,
about 10 minutes.  I have also frozen these, wrapped securly in zipper
freezer bags, they came through fine.)

Whisk powdered sugar with enough orange juice to make a thick glaze, adding 1
T. juice at a time.  Remove rolls from pan; spread with glaze.  Serve
slightly warm or at room temperature.

Enjoy!  Carolyn Haack