Hot Cross Buns

Kathleen <schuller@ix.netcom.com>
Mon, 08 May 2000 05:36:21 -0500
v100.n041.9
This list probably doesn't really need another recipe for Hot Cross buns,
but I made this one a few weeks ago which I had adjusted for fat.  I
checked through all the ones in the archives, and, if I remember correctly
they had much more fat than this one.  I cut the butter in half and used
skim milk and egg beaters.  They were yummy and will be my recipe of choice
in the future.

Kathleen

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                               Hot Cross Buns

Recipe By     : www.startribune, com  --4/9/00, adapted
Serving Size  : 15   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Buns And Rolls
                  Fruits

                          ***BUNS***
     4 1/2  cups          flour -- divided, up to 5
     2      packages      active dry yeast -- ( 1/4-oz.)
       1/3  cup           granulated sugar
       3/4  teaspoon      salt
     1      teaspoon      ground cinnamon
       1/2  teaspoon      ground allspice
       1/4  teaspoon      ground nutmeg
     1 1/4  cups          skim milk
     2      tablespoons   butter
                          plus additional for brushing on tops
       1/2  cup           egg beaters(r) 99% egg substitute -- lightly beaten
     1      cup           raisins
       1/4  cup           chopped candied fruit -- optional
                          ***TOPPING***
     1      cup           sifted powdered sugar
     2      tablespoons   skim milk -- up to 3 tablespoons
     1 1/2  teaspoons     butter -- softened
       1/4  teaspoon      vanilla

Makes 15 buns.

Buns: Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon,
allspice and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.  Place milk and 1/4 cup butter
in saucepan and warm to 130F (use an instant-read or candy thermometer to
gauge temperature).  Add milk mixture to the flour mixture.  Beat 2 minutes
in electric mixer at medium speed.

Add eggs and another 1/2 cup flour.  Beat 2 minutes at high
speed.  Gradually stir in enough remaining flour along with raisins and
candied fruit to form soft dough.  Knead on lightly floured board until
smooth, about 5 minutes.  Place in greased bowl.  Cover and let rise in
warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch down and divide into 15 equal parts.  Shape each portion into
ball.  Place equal distance apart on a greased 15 1/2-by 10 1/2-inch
jellyroll pan.  Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Melt some butter and brush on buns.  Bake 25 minutes
until golden brown.  Cool on rack.

Topping: Combine powdered sugar with milk, butter and vanilla.  Drizzle in
cross pattern over each bun.

Original recipe used whole milk, regular eggs, and 1/4 cup butter.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2431 0 0 0 0 0