Re: More Pizza Dough Tips

Nancy Silver <nancy@pilgrim.com>
Wed, 31 May 2000 16:36:23 -0400
v100.n045.12
Peter Reinhart offered some interesting tips for improving pizza dough
which I look forward to trying.  I do want to mention that I've heard
some plastic trash bags have insecticide imbedded in them and should
not be in contact with food for consumption.  I can't say for certain
that this is truth or legend, but it's probably safer to err on the
side of safety and use food-grade plastic wrap or some other means of
covering the dough while retarding it in the refrigerator.

Also, my tip for enhancing pizza with those big puffy irregular
bubbles:

Start a sponge of approximately equal parts by volume of  flour,
filtered water with an added a pinch of yeast.  I maintain this
mixture in the fridge like a "sour", but I don't leave it at room
temperature for long periods to attract  wild yeasts and bacteria as
I'm not looking for a sourdough effect.  As I use it, I replenish the
sponge with equal parts flour and water (no more yeast will be needed)
and I allow  it to come to room temp briefly just to start the
yeasties "feeding frenzy" - then I put return into the refrigerator
until next time.  When I make pizza dough I take an unmeasured glob of
this (I'd guess about 1/4 cup) and break it up for good distribution
in the water.  Also I decrease the amount of yeast the pizza dough
recipe calls for by about 1/2. Not very scientific, but it adds lovely
exture and flavor to the dough.  If you leave it too long without
replenishing and it doesn't react the fresh feeding of flour and water
and/or or smells "off"  - toss it and start again!

  - Nancy