Baking Stone

"Sue & Sam" <suesam@pipeline.com>
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:04:59 -0400
v100.n051.9
Hi Arlene,

I use my baking stone a lot.  But almost all of my bread I start in a bread
pan because I like the size and shape.  I bake my breads in the for the
first 30 minutes and then remove the breads from the pans and put them on
the stones.  Of course, you must have a good separating medium on the pans
- I use a mix of lecithin liquid and olive oil.  It works just
fine.  However, remember - if you start with the bread pans directly on the
stones, the stone does not heat up properly, so I start with the rack at
the next level above the stone for that first thirty minute period.  Then
when the bread is removed from the pans and put on the stone, the stone is
the right temperature.

I do  let some of my breads rise on the peel - well floured or corn
starched - and then slide them off onto the stone directly - but the
majority are done as per the above paragraph.

As for pizza - I rarely make it.

Good luck with it.  The bread it much nicer when baked on a stone - better
crust.

Sam