Fw: Truly Wheat-Free Recipes

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:30:36 -0700
v100.n051.13
 >Re: bread-bakers.v100.n050.4

Patricia & James Fogler wrote asking for a non-wheat bread recipe for bread
machines. I have not made this recipe using a bread machine, but making it
by hand was a cinch and was pretty good. This is a spelt bread recipe and
you can find it sold in package form from Arrowhead Mills; e.g. SPELT
FLOUR. I am submitting both the bread machine and manual method.  This
recipe appears on the Spelt Flour package.

SPELT BREAD FOR BREAD MACHINE
3 1/3 cup Arrowheat Mills Spelt Flour
1 package yeast
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water.
Place in bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions.  Bake on
shortest cycle possible (NOT quick bread cycle).  If loaf falls and craters
during baking cycle, decrease water slightly next time.

FOR BAKING IN THE OVEN
Use same ingredients as above. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Dissolve
yeast in water with honeyy and vegetable oil.  Add salt and 1 1/2 cups spelt
flour.  Beat well for 3 or 4 minutes.  Cover with damp cloth and let sit for
in warm place for approx. 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Add remaining
flour turning onto floured board to knead. Knead until smooth adding (more)
flour if necessary.  Place in oiled loaf pan, cover with damp cloth and let
rise in warm place until doubled in size (approx. 30 minutes).  Bake for
30-40 mins. or until golden brown.
Yield: 1 loaf
Source: Arrowhead Mills, available at Fresh Fields (Whole Foods).
Note: Fresh Fields also sells spelt flour in bulk form.

BROWN RICE RECIPES...There is a company, Fearn Natural Foods, that
distributes a mix called "Brown Rice Baking Mix." I purchased this box from
Fresh Fields but have yet to try these recipes. On the back of  package the
company gives recipes for BREAD (not) yeast bread, but with no other type
flour, PANCAKES, WAFFLES, and WHEAT-FREE THIN CRUST PIZZA (again, no yeast).
Not only is this mix wheat free but gluten free also.

Hope this helps,
joni