Heavy Bread

Barbara Moore <103413.3166@compuserve.com>
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:01:46 -0400
v100.n052.16
Thanks to all who responded to my questions about  testing internal
temperatures when baking bread.  But I have another problem.  I have baked
a lot of bread, but lately it seems that no matter what type of bread I am
making it doesn't seem to rise enough and turns out heavy, much too dense,
slightly gummy.  I buy yeast by the pound, but keep the extra
double-wrapped in the freezer. I keep  a small jar of yeast in the refrig
which I replenish from the freezer when necessary.  I have used both
all-purpose and  the "best for bread" types.  This has happened with
everything from plain white bread to sourdough. What could be wrong?  Any
ideas?

THANKS!