Pane Pugliese

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:37:29 -0700
v100.n057.7
I tried this bread today and just had to send the recipe to you bread
bakers.  This bread is simple, in that, it takes very few ingredients, but
plan on
24-48 hours before you have a loaf of this delicious goodie.

Enclosed after this recipe are notes from my experience.

Pane Pugliese

This crusty, slightly domed and delicious peasant bread is made with a very
slack (wet) dough. The dough is almost impossible to work with, [that's an
understatement jtr] but produces a pleasingly open texture. A long
fermentation enhances the bread's flavor. (King Arthur Flour Co).

BIGA
1/2 cup (4 ozs) water
1 1/4 cups (5 1/8 ozs) KA Unbleached  A-P Flour
1/8 teaspoon instant yeast

In a small mixing bowl, combine the water, flour and yeast to form a soft
dough. Don't knead it; just make sure all of the ingredients are
well-incorporated. Set this mixture aside in a warm place, covered, for 12
to 16 hours.

DOUGH
All of the biga (above)
1 1/2 cups (12 ozs) water
4 cups (~17 ozs) KA Unbleached A-P Flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast

Knead all of the dough ingredients together, using a mixer or bread machine
(this is well nigh impossible to knead by hand), until the dough is cohesive
and elastic (though not necessarily smooth), about 10 minutes. Cover the
dough and let it rise in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours, gently stirring it
down each hour. (The longer you let the dough rise at this point, the better
the flavor of the finished loaf will be).

Lightly grease a half-sheet pan or other flat pan*. (See my notes)  Scoop
the very wet dough, in two separate pieces, onto the pan lengthwise, shaping
each piece into a rough oval as best you can. [Good luck] Cover the dough
with heavily greased plastic wrap, and allow it to rise for about 90
minutes. It'll spread quite a bit; don't worry, it's supposed to.

Spray the loaves heavily with warm water, and bake them in a preheated 450F
oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they're a deep, golden brown. Turn the
oven off, prop the door open, transfer the loaves from the pan to the oven
rack, and allow them to cool in the turned-off oven.

Yield: 2 loaves.
Source: King Arthur Flour Co.

MY NOTES: