Flour sources

SloSherri@aol.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:17:38 EDT
v100.n058.11
<<While we're on the subject, has anybody out there found a source besides
King Arthur for first clear flour?  I hate to pay for shipping flour around
if it isn't necessary.>>

Jessica,

I think your question is a good one, especially as it falls nearly virtually
on the heels of Lynn's comments about shipping.

I used to purchase all of my flour from King Arthur, and I really do believe
it is a superior product.  However, I live in California, and when I bought a
house five years ago, that was the end of shipping staples.  I simply could
not afford the cost.  Luckily for me, Trader Joe's moved to my area last
year, and I finally have a reliable, local, and very inexpensive source for
KA's regular and white-wheat flours (Trader's also stocks Bread Machine
flour, but as I don't have a bread machine, I don't buy it).

Here's my point, and I do have one and am finally getting to it:  I
discovered much to my surprise that my local health food store often
carried very unusual flours.  I've seen semolina flour, many types of ryes,
and any number of other specialty items (sorry for blanking here, but it's
early and the coffee hasn't kicked in!)  At any rate, check out your local
health food store.  It couldn't hurt, might help, and is certainly worth a try!

Sherri