Re: Challah-Large Quantities

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:21:25 -0400
v100.n058.16
 > I have been asked to make 30 challahs for a fund raiser. I would like to
 > but the most I have ever made is 4 as that is all my oven will hold. They
 > said that I could use the ovens at the temple which can hold 10-15 1 lbs
 > loaves at a time. The only problem is how do you handle so many at a time.
 > If any body has any ideas I would love to hear them.

First, start with a recipe measured by weight and not volume, perhaps
scaling one from a bakery.  Search the net for "Bakery Formulas" and you
will find several sites that contain this recipe.

For large quantities, I use my Magic Mill DLX which comfortably kneads
recipes with up to 7 pounds of flour, which would be roughly 8 one pound
loaves.

So, three batches might give you what you want.

Alternatively, many people have bread machines sitting at home, and they
may be willing to lend you some.  If you can assemble 5 machines, you can
do it in one afternoon.

Run the dough cycle, but remove from the machine as soon as the first
kneading is over, this should take about 30-35 minutes in most machines.

Place the dough for the five loaves in a huge container to rise for the
first time.  If you do not have enough containers, let each loaf rise in an
oiled 2 gallon ziplock bag.

After rising, shape and bake, and the rest of the dough is coming.

Another idea is to have a bakery mix three batches of ten loaves each and
freeze it for you.  You may defrost on the site, let rise for the first
time, then shape, rise and bake.

Later, Jazzbel

  Some friend have a habit of wearing these big time shirt.
The other night a fella come and tell me "I wearing a $25 custom-made shirt".
I look at him and laugh 'cause I remember when all of we used
to "Thank God for Robin Hood Flour".  That's right, Flour Bag...
--Ronnie butler "Goin' down Burma Road".