Some ideas for wholemeal bread

"Vikki Haffenden" <thehaffendens@cwcom.net>
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:57:44 +0100
v100.n060.27
Hello,
I have been looking through my post from the bread digest having been very
lax in doing so and I came across someone asking for advice on heavy
bread.  I also asked for advice but meanwhile have found a good
solution.  In the UK I cannot find Vital Gluten as an additive and add
white bread flour to my whole meal loaves to help them rise, 1 cup
replacing 1 of whole meal helps.

Also I add Vitamin C (Citric Acid) powder at approx. 1/6th tsp to every cup
of flour (this is 500mg strength Vit c). Our water is very chalky and hard
and this, or a tsp of lemon juice helps soften the water.  Then I also add
1tsp of Lecithin per cup of flour...this lightens the loaf amazingly.  I do
find it can add a  taste and I am experimenting with adding the minimum
amount that works..

I get non GMO lecithin from a   local Health Co-op. I read about this idea
in a book I have called The Bread Machine Book - Wholegrains and Natural
Sugars by Donna Rathman (?) which has great recipes for wholefood
junkies!...Sprouted grains and malted loaves- yummy. I got it from
Amazon.co.uk @ a very good price and find the info useful...recommended to
those who like to fiddle with wholefoody ingredients, and know why they are
doing it and what can be substituted.

Thank you to Sue and Sam for the Grill breads, they sound fun to do in the
summer.

Vikki