Joni's Whole Wheat Sourdough 10-Grain-Cereal Bread

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:21:58 -0700
v100.n062.13
I am celebrating my first year of bread baking. What a great year it has
been. I've met so many interesting people on this bread list and want to
thank everyone for being so helpful in pursuit of what has become a real
passion. To this end I've submitted several recipes this week to show my
gratitude.

Again, I have altered a King Arthur Flour Recipe to produce this really
wholesome loaf. I've only made this once and although my husband thought it
was delicious, it tended not to hold together well cut. Perhaps I used a
little to much liquid. So, although you want it slack, make sure it's not
too sticky to handle. Should you not have KA's 10-Grain-Cereal on hand, not
to worry, you can certainly use some substitute such as any multi-grain
cereal.  You should also know that although some of the ingredients are my
own, the method is directly lifted from a King Arthur Flour
recipe.....Credit should be mainly theirs.

joni repasch

Joni's Whole Wheat Sourdough 10-Grain-Cereal Bread

2 1/2 cups (10 1/4 ozs) KA 100% White Whole Wheat flour (or stone-ground
whole wheat)
1/4 cup (1 3/4 ozs) KA 10 Grain-Cereal
1 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
3 Tbsp 2 1/4 ozs) maple syrup, molasses, or light/dark corn syrup or honey
1/4 cup (1 1/4 ozs) Baker's Special Dry Milk
1/4 cup (1 1/2 ozs) potato flour
1/4 cup (2 ozs) vegetable oil or
1/2 to 3/4 cups ( ozs) lukewarm water (105 F-110 F)
1/2 cup white sourdough starter (refreshed)
1 Tbsp Lora Brody's Dough Enhancer

Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the water and salt into mixer bowl.

Using the paddle attachment stir the ingredients, then add about 1/2 cup of
the water, pouring it in slowing as the mixer runs. Stir again; the dough
will begin to clump up and form a ball. At this point, give a few more
stirs and cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let the
dough rest for 20 minutes or so. This gives the flour a chance to absorb
the liquid, and will help prevent you from adding too much flour as you
knead the dough later.

Kneading the Dough: Switch to the dough hook and add in the salt, mix until
well distributed. Knead the dough on speed #2 for 3 minutes, adding a
little more water if dough is too dry. Stop machine and allow dough to rest
2 minutes; start machine and knead another 2-3 minutes. The dough should
become springy, supple, smooth, soft...when you poke it, it should feel
like a baby's bottom.

First Rise: Use your bowl scraper to scrape any dried bits of dough out of
your mixing bowl, grease the bowl with pan spray, and place the kneaded
dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise for about 1
to 1 1/2 hours. (I like to place plastic over the bowl, then a damp towel.)
Ideally, the rising temperature will be between 75F and 85F. (I like to
place the covered bowl in a unheated oven with the oven light on.)

Shaping: After the dough has risen, transfer to a lightly greased work
surface, gently deflate it, and shape it into an oval about 8 inches long.
Do not punch or treat it roughly; this will just make the gluten "seize up"
and become hard to work with.

Transfer the shaped loaf to a lightly grease 8 1/2 x 4 1/2- inch loaf pan.

Second Rise: Cover the pan. We use an acrylic dough-rising cover, as it's
easy and reusable; but feel free to use a dampened towel, or lightly
greased plastic wrap. Just be sure either of those two is place LOOSELY
over the pan; you don't want your loaf hindered in any way as it rises. Set
the pan in a 75- 85F rising area, and let the loaf rise till its highest
point (the center) has crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan; this
should take 30 to 45 minutes, or perhaps slightly longer.

Baking: Place the bread in a COLD oven, and turn the heat to 350F. Bake the
bread for 35 minutes. Insert instant-read thermometer into the side of the
bread. It should read 190F. If not, give it a few more minutes and measure
the temperature again.

When done, remove it from the oven, and transfer it immediately to a
cooling rack. Run a stick of butter or margarine over the top crust, if
desired; this will make the crust soft. Allow the bread to cool before cutting.

When cool, store it in a plastic bag, at room temperature, or freeze it.

Yield: 1 loaf
Source: Joni Repasch, 09/05/00 based on: _The King Arthur Flour Guide for
Beginning Bread-Makers_, Box 1010, Norwich, Vermont, 05055.