cinnamon swirl bread,revised(again?) for typos

alexandra mahoney <alexmotown@prodigy.net>
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n064.15
Joni-

Congratulations on your one year bread-baking anniversary!  I admire your
thorough note-taking on all of the bread you bake.  You asked about the
gaps in cinnamon swirl bread.  Cooks Illustrated has an article written by
Susan Logozzo on cinnamon swirl bread in its September/October 1998
issue.  The article offers a cinnamon bread recipe as well as a variation
for cinnamon rolls.  I quote the sections of the write-up that address the
Gap Issue:

"The amount of filling was determined by one factor besides taste.  I
discovered that using too much more than one-quarter cup of the
cinnamon-sugar mixture resulted in small separations between the filling
and the bread because the excess sugar prevented the dough from staying
together.  I eventually discovered that one-quarter cup of sugar mixed with
five teaspoons of cinnamon resulted in a tasty bread with no gaps.

Rolling and shaping the dough into a loaf are crucial steps.  In order to
create swirls in the finished bread and end up with a loaf that would fit
into a 9-inch loaf pan, I rolled the dough out evenly into a rectangle 8
inches wide and 18 inches long.  When I rolled the dough out longer than
this, it was so thin that the filling popped through the edges in some
places.  Rolling the dough up evenly and closely was also important.  When
I rolled the dough too tightly, the filling popped through;  rolling too
loosely produced an uneven loaf and gaps between the swirls and the bread.
Finally, I found that I could prevent the filling from leaking and burning
in the pan while baking if I pinched the edges of the bottom seam and the
ends of the roll together very tightly.. . . Proofing time is also crucial.
In fact, finding the proper proofing time entirely solved the gap puzzle.
When I underproofed the shaped loaf by allowing it to rise just to the top
of the pan, the baked bread was dense and did not have a fully risen,
attractive shape.  But, when I allowed the unbaked loaf to proof too much,
1 1/2 inches or more above the pan, I ended up with those unwanted gaps
between dough and filling.  ...Allowing the dough to rise just 1 inch above
the top of a 9-inch loaf pan before baking resulted in a perfectly shaped
loaf with no gaps."

Hope this helps!  Cooks has a web-site <http://www.cooksillustrated.com>,
but because they operate without advertising, accessing their recipes on
computer costs a few bucks.

Alexandra