bread baking temperatures

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:15:34 -0400
v100.n065.9
 > From: "R K Johnson" <rkjohnson@usa.net>
 > Subject: Finished temperature of bread
 > Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 08:59:57 -0400

 > "I've noticed that 190 degrees is the temperature that most of you shoot
 > for in finished bread. I live at 3800 feet altitude, and water boils here
 > at 207 degrees instead of 212. Does that mean bread temperature should be
 > 185 to avoid overbaking?"

	Bob - it has been my observation that the fabled (read that: widely
published) 190-degree bread baking temperature, is far more "old-wives'
tale," than it is reality. It appears as one of those oft-quoted "facts"
repeated so many times in various publications and by assorted columnists -
that it has become "truth."
	I think you will find that bread baked to an internal temperature range of
200-208 degrees comes far closer to the mark. (I have no experience as to
factoring in your altitude difference, I reside barely 100 feet above sea
level.)
	I'd suggest that you try baking to a higher temperature - and see what
happens!
	"Fear of failure" is something drilled into our brains, and in turn we get
hung up on that fear. Yet, the world won't end if you make a mistake... and
you might even learn something along the way.
	Ed Okie