Freezing Bread

"Bill and Audrey Konie" <2ofts@bigsky.net>
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:07:09 -0600
v100.n067.13
My husband (the hunter and home-butcher) and I (the wrapper and cook) have
been successfully freezing game animals and birds for several years by
wrapping very tightly with plastic wrap, forming it around the product and
then overwrapping with freezer paper and taping securely shut.  I also use
this method for baked goods, including breads, and it works wonderfully.
The big secret here is to keep air away from the product.  It is the air
contact which causes the freezer burn and lack of flavor.   We never keep
breads that long, but we have used game from our freezer that was almost
four years old and would defy anyone to tell the difference between that
and a like piece of meat that was similarly wrapped and frozen only days
before. Try it - as "Haacknjack" says, "If you have done the wrapping
improperly (not air-tight enough) you can always use the bread for
croutons, stratas, crumbs, etc."