Chimenea baking

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:02:05 -0800
v100.n071.26
Have any of you tried baking bread using a Chimenea??

from www.betterbaking.com/

Chimenea Baking 2000

If you're like me, you enjoy the taste of baked goods which have been
exposed to a wood fire. Perhaps you've been pining for a wood burning oven.
A chimenea might fill the bill. I often bake bread on my barbecue (see our
Breads on the grill feature) and I've been intrigued by the baking
potential of the chimenea. A chimenea is an outdoor, free standing, wood
burning fireplace made of clay. Most are made in Mexico and the design is
based on that of a Mayan bread oven. Chimeneas may be purchased from home
and garden centers. (Tom Whitcher of Sheridan Nurseries installed a (new
larger) chimenea for us recently and he was along for the latest baking
adventure)).

Please note that some dealers suggest that chimeneas not be used for
cooking. However, a well made, well prepared chimenea is quite suitable for
baking and many dealers sell grills and other cooking accessories. Most
chimeneas must be tempered with several small fires before they are ready
for normal use. Look for a hefty cast iron grill to use as a base inside.
Avoid flimsy BBQ grills. Asa baking vessel, choose a seasoned cast iron
skillet large enough for a good flatbread or several rolls. Follow
directions carefully to properly season a new skillet. If you find old cast
iron at a yard sale, all the better.

Prepare a wood fire in the chimenea. Don't use briquettes or lighting fuel
of any kind. Start your fire with shavings or newspaper. If necessary,
place an extra pan (a cheap aluminum pizza pan) underneath your cast iron
pan to insulate the bottom. Fire or flare tiles are an other option for
tempering the heat. Be aware that you're baking at a very high temperature.
Protect yourself with elbow-length oven mitts and keep an eye on your
baking. It will take some practice, but it will be worthwhile in the end.
Nothing beats the flavor of a wood-seasoned pizza or flatbread.

Enjoy.
Marcy Goldman

Tools:
Professional oven mitts, long stainless steel tongs, large pizza wheel,
baking stone or BBQ flare tiles, cast iron pan or griddle (Lodge makes
a  great line), cooking grill (if not available from chimenea supplier).

Sources:
Chimeneas: Sheridan Nurseries