Four methods for producing yeast doughs

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 19:52:35 -0800
v100.n072.1
I thought this might be helpful to some of you ...

from www.betterbaking.com/

Methods and tips

Four methods for producing yeast dough

Bread dough or any yeast dough for that matter, can be made in a number of
ways - depending on what you have on hand in the way of appliances and your
preference or inclination. I use something recommended by many Parisian
bakers called the "autolyse". In this method, the dough is mixed into a
soft mass, then allowed to rest for 10 to 12 minutes. In this rest, the
dough changes its nature - miraculously. After that, it is easier to handle
the dough and you will find you do not have to add as much flour to prevent
it from sticking. I have incorporated autolyse in the hand, the dough hook
& mixer, and bread machine methods.

Remember, all roads lead to Rome and don't get caught up with one method.
Given a choice, I would go with hands-on any day. However, some
days,  better to let the bread machine make the pizza dough and concentrate
on something else. The food processor, which is useful for a number of
baking duties, is fourth on my list of preferred methods. It does an
adequate job but the dough usually produces a dense crumb. Some people
swear by it for wet, slack, French doughs but I prefer hands-on, dough hook
and bread  machine - in that order.

By hand: For this method, you can use either all-purpose flour, all bread
flour, or a mix of both. Place water and a pinch of sugar (usually called
for in recipe) in a large bowl. Stir in yeast and allow it to sit a moment
until it looks dissolved or swells. Stir in any other ingredients (eggs,
oil for instance) and flour. When mixture can no longer be stirred by hand,
begin kneading, on a lightly floured work surface. Dust in more flour,
conservatively, as required. After five minutes - STOP. Let dough rest ten
minutes. Then resume kneading, another five minutes until dough is smooth,
supple and elastic. Slap it around during this time as well - it helps the
dough get into shape! Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and insert bowl
in a large plastic bag and allow to rise, as per recipe.  Dough hook and
mixer: Place water, a pinch of sugar and yeast in bowl of electric mixer
fitted with the paddle attachment. Let mixture sit until yeast swells or
looks dissolved. Stir in salt, fat or oil and most of flour and using the
paddle, on slow speed, mix to make a soft mass of the dough. Stop and allow
dough to rest ten minutes. Stir in remaining flour and attach dough hook.
Knead, on slow speed about five to 8 minutes, depending on recipe and
dough, until dough is smooth and clears the sides and bottom of work bowl.
Dust in flour as required to achieve this. Remove dough from work bowl and
knead briefly by hand on a lightly floured work surface. Place dough in a
lightly greased bowl and insert bowl in a large plastic bag and allow to
rise, as per recipe.

Bread machine: Add ingredients to machine bread pan in order given or as
per machine instructions. Program on 'dough' mode. Allow dough to mix about
four minutes or so until a soft mass forms. Turn machine off and let dough
rest ten minutes. Reset machine to 'dough' mode. Dust in flour, if you
think dough is too sticky (it should clear the bottom of the bread  pan). A
soft, supple dough is easier to work with so take care not to make a
springy or heavy dough. Let dough rise in machine. When it is ready,
proceed with recipe instructions.

Food processor: Place water, sugar, yeast, salt, and fat called for in
recipe (oil or solid fat - or none) in bowl of food processor and pulse to
dissolve sugar and salt. Stir in most of flour called for in recipe and
process until a soft ball forms. Remove from machine and knead briefly, by
hand, on a lightly floured surface. Allow to rest a moment. Then place
dough in a lightly greased bowl and insert bowl in a large plastic bag and
allow to rise, as per recipe.

For ALL doughs after they have risen:
Deflate dough very gently before using and allow dough to rest 15 minutes
before proceeding to next step (dough likes a rest in between any sort of
handling). Alternately, refrigerate dough in an oiled plastic bag for up to
two days, deflate as you see fit - to allow trapped gases to escape.