ingredient weights

"Bev Carney" <sinkcar@Prodigy.net>
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 07:59:05 -0600
v100.n077.9
Deb asked about where to find conversion charts for the weights of
ingredients.  Although there are lists around, I have found that they don't
always agree with each other so I have compiled a list from hit and miss.
Basically, I look at the packaging. Flour bags generally list 1/4 cup as
weighing 30 grams. So I multiply by 4 for 120, and divide by 28 (number of
grams in an ounce) and come up with 4.3.  In actuality though, I use 4.5
ounces/cup as my chosen weight.  I have done the same for sugar, cocoa, etc.
Then I tack the list of weights up in my cupboard.  When I prepare a recipe,
I jot down the proper weights for the listed ingredients if I plan to make
that recipe again.

In my "former" life I was a tax consultant, so a calculator is available in
every room of the house so my conversions are a bit simpler <g>

Bev