Finnish Rye Bread

"Dave & Jeni Gauthier" <stoneset@bellsouth.net>
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:51:58 -0500
v101.n001.8
Hi,

I have enjoyed the posts of this list for over a year, but have never
responded before.

I saw Lynn's post in the bread baker's list and wanted to send the recipe
my mom sent me. She got this from her Aunt Mae, who did come from Finland.
I have been very interested in baking the breads of my grandmother's
homeland and my mom gave me a cookbook by Beatrice A. Ojakangas called The
Finnish Cookbook, by Crown Publishers, Inc., New York.

If this is not what you are looking for, let me know and I will research
the book more. I looked in the index and did not see anything sounding like
what you wanted except for this one.

Rieska

3 c. white flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat or barley flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sugar 2 tsps. salt
1/2 c. shortening

Sift dry ingredients together into bowl, cut in shortening until mixture
has a coarse crumb feeling. Add buttermilk and stir together until dough
clings together. Knead on lightly floured board for a couple of minutes,
roll into a round loaf to fit ungreased cookie sheet. Prick top all over
with fork, bake in preheated oven 350F for 25 min or until golden.

Mae said,"mine came the size of a 12in. round. I greased the pan."

Jeni Gauthier