Cranberry Recipes

jeanie.callaghan@writeme.com
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:16:08 -0500
v101.n010.9
I really love cranberries and love to collect cranberry recipes.  I plan to
create a cranberry recipe page on my website!  I have a freezer full of
frozen cranberries year-round.  My local supermarket has been selling bags
of cranberries for 49 cents recently!  Here are some cranberry
recipes.  I'm looking forward to the recipes that are posted here.

Cranberry-Apricot Quick Bread

1/2 c. margarine
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. orange juice
1 tsp. grated orange rind
1 c. coarse chopped cranberries
1/2 c. chopped dried apricots

Beat margarine and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing
well. Add combined dry ingredients alternately with juice, mixing well
after each addition. Stir in cranberries, apricots and orange rind. Pour
into greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 15
minutes. Cool 5 minutes, remove from pan. Makes 1 loaf.  Serve with sweet
orange spread. 1 tbsp. 10X sugar 1 tsp. orange rind Mix well, chill.

Cranberry Nut Bread

1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup sugar
3 cups sifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
Grated rind of 1 orange
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup of milk
2 teaspoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Put cranberries through coarse blade of grinder and
mix with 1/4 cup sugar. Sift remaining sugar with flour, baking powder, and
salt, mix in nuts and orange rind. Lightly beat egg with milk and butter
and stir into flour mixture. Fold in cranberries. Spoon into a buttered
9x5x3 loaf pan and bake about 1 hour until loaf pulls slightly from sides
of pan and is spring to the touch. Cool upright 10 minutes, then turn out
on wire rack and cool before slicing.  1  9X5X3 loaf

Cranberry-Orange Scones

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. UNSALTED butter (NOT margarine)
3/4 c. chopped frozen cranberries
2 tsp. grated orange peel
1/2 c. plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
1/4 c. orange juice (for more flavor, use orange juice concentrate)
2 tsp. sugar

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; cut in butter with two knives or
pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add cranberries and
orange peel; toss well.  Add yogurt, stirring just until dry ingredients
are moistened (dough will be quite sticky).  Turn the dough out onto a
lightly floured surface, and with well-floured hands, knead 5 or 6
times.  Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with
cooking spray.  Cut dough with sharp knife into 12 wedges (DO NOT SEPARATE
wedges).  Sprinkle the 2 tsp. of sugar over the dough.  Bake at 450F for 12
to 15 minutes, or until golden.

Apple Cranberry Muffins

1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup diced unpeeled apple
3/4 cup cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. In a separate
bowl whisk eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in
apple, cranberries, and walnuts. Fold into dry ingredients. Bake in greased
muffin cups at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes.

Cranberry Upside-Down Muffins

1 1/2 cups cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped nuts
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel

Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set
aside. In a small saucepan cook cranberries and the 3/4 cup sugar, covered,
over low heat just till mixture starts to form juice, stirring
occasionally. Uncover and heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil
gently, uncovered, about 5 minutes or till berries pop. Stir in nutmeg.
Divide cranberry mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Set
aside.  In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/3 cup sugar, nuts, baking
powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center.  In a small bowl
combine egg, milk, cooking oil, and lemon peel. Add to flour mixture all at
once. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spoon batter on
top of the cranberry mixture in the muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3
full.  Bake in a 400F oven about 20 minutes or till golden. Cool in muffin
cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. To remove muffins from muffin cups,
invert muffins onto the wire rack. Makes 12.

Visit my website "Dining with the Sopranos"
http://people.delphi.com/webusa/sopranos/index.html