Re: Cuban Bread

Betty Bennett <bjbennett@ll.mit.edu>
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:13:50 -0500
v101.n011.12
Reggie Dwork wrote:.....This is the first loaf of Cuban bread that I
have made.  It was way too salty for us to enjoy although it looked
really nice.  Is Cuban bread always this salty??  Does someone have
a good Cuban bread recipe that they would like to share with Jeff
and me that is less salty??

Hi Reggie,

Regarding the saltiness, did you brush the loaf with unsalted or salted
butter? I made a raisin bread one time that called for brushing with
unsalted butter and since I didn't have any I used regular butter.  The
bread ended up way  too salty.  This is probably one of those things
that most people just know but I never realized before that it would
make that big a difference.

Happy baking,

Betty Bennett