RE: using shortening in pastry, biscuits

"Joan Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:40:41 -0500
v101.n023.10
Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that this is a great tip, but if you have forgotten to freeze the shortening and/or butter then you can get a similar effect by using a food processor (e.g., Cuisinart).  I generally do this by putting the dry ingredients into the work bowl, cutting in the shortening, and then pulsing the processor until the shortening appears "grated", as was suggested in the excellent tip below.  Do NOT pulse/process it too much! Then I add the liquid ingredients, pulse just until it's blended (the mixture may be a shaggy mass, or not even holding together), then dump it out on my pastry board, quickly press it together, cut, and bake.

Cold shortening is really excellent for making pastry and flaky baked items such as biscuits -- one reason they suggest a marble pastry board for making pastries and such, and work fast to keep the temp cool/cold (or put half in the fridge until you're ready for it).

Thanks for sharing this excellent tip.

Joan