San Francisco sourdough taste

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:00:55 -0600
v101.n023.12
Epwerth15@aol.com asked:

 > Hi Everyone!  Now it's my turn to ask a question....I've been making
 > sourdough bread for years from a starter that I made back in the
 > midwest.  It's one that we like a lot, but it's NOT as sour as a true
 > San Francisco bread, and no matter what I try, I can't get that
 > flavor.  Any suggestions?

Try making bread a 3 day process.  Expand your sourdough overnight with flour and water.  The next day, mix from your recipe the dry ingredients (except use only a portion of the flour) and part of the liquid.  It should be about muffin batter consistency.  Let that sit overnight.  The 3rd day, add the shortening and the rest of the flour and water and continue as usual.  I've found this helps make some recipes more sour.

The following recipe always comes out sour even without the 3 day
method.  I have no idea why.

QUARRY TILE BREAD

Bake on unglazed tile or a pizza stone on the bottom rack of oven
to make it nice and crusty.

RE: the 1/5 c. measurements ... I just eyeball it.  That's how it
worked out when I converted it from a yeast recipe.

1 loaf:

2 cups sourdough
1 1/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 T. buttermilk pd (opt)
1 t. sugar
1/5 c. water
1 T. olive oil

3 loaves:

6 c. sourdough
4 5/6 c. flour
1 T. salt
1 T. buttermilk pd (opt)
1 T. sugar
3/5 c. water
3 to 4 T. olive oil

2 loafs yeast bread (source recipe):

5 c. flour
2 tsp salt
1 T. yeast
2 t. sugar
2 c water
2 T olive oil

Mix flour and salt.  Put yeast in water (if making the yeast version) . Stir well.  Let sit 10 minutes.  Stir again and mix into flour, along with oil.  Knead bread.  Let rise for 1 hour.  Punch out bubbles and form loaf, let rise for 1/2 hour.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Bake 30-40 minutes. I lined small Corning dish with dish towel and let bread rise in it.  I took it out by lifting it out by the towel, transferred it to one hand and quickly put it on the stone right side up.