Re: Digest bread-bakers.v101.n031

Paula Countryman <paulac@uswest.net>
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:30:26 -0700
v101.n033.6
 >Our local bakery has had a request for bread that is yeast-free, not
 >sourdough, and not leavened by baking powder or soda and have asked my help
 >in finding such an item. The customer who has requested this bread claims
 >she can buy it back East someplace, Please, if anyone has some ideas along
 >this line let me know.
 >
 >Dick Carlton, Brookings, OR

You can check out this website for Desem Bread in Boston:

http://www.baldwinhill.com/

Though they do call it a sourdough, I personally make this bread at home
(from instructions in Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book) and I do not find it
"sour." LKBB has wonderful complete instructions for home bakers to
replicate the desem bread, and I imagine it could be taken on by a
bakery. Perhaps the bakery can determine if this is the bread of which
the person was speaking.

hth,

paula countryman