Re: puffy pizza dough

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@COLPAL.COM>
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:02:07 -0400
v101.n034.16
I agree with Bob.  Unless you've got an 800 F oven, partially baking the
pizza untopped (except for olive oil and spices) seems the best way to get
a crispy, unquestionably done crust.  Like Bob's experience, my dough does
puff up.  This has got to be classic oven-spring.  What I do is to check
the dough after a few minutes and use my metal peel to press down on the
puffy portions. It feels a bit silly doing it, but it works.

I haven't done it but I suppose one could also (carefully) lay a hot heavy
baking sheet on top of the pizza for the first few minutes -- sort of like
the pizza equivalent of pie weights.  But that would ruin the puffy edge we
all know and love.

Mark

  Bob dempsey <rdempsey@dialaccess.com> wrote