Need help with a recipe, please

Alexgejp@aol.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:51:16 EDT
v101.n040.10
I hope all you great bread bakers can help me with a recipe I found in the
Bread Baker digest archives:

"Faux" Sourdough Bread (1 lb. loaf)

1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
1 T. vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/2 cup sour cream (non-fat OK) (I used regular)
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 t. yeast

All ingredients should be at room temperature before starting.  Add the
ingredients to the pan in the order listed, select "white bread" and press
start.

I have a Breadman Ultimate bread machine and am relatively new to bread
machine baking.  I followed the above recipe exactly except I had to add 4
tablespoons flour to help the dough form a ball.  The bread was delicious,
except for the lack of salt; however, the top caved in.  I tried the recipe
again a few days later and followed the above recipe, except that I added 2
teaspoons salt and increased the flour to 2 1/4 cups.  This time I still had
to add 2 1/2 tablespoons flour.  At the end of the third rise (50 minutes) it
had hardly risen at all.  I unplugged the machine and allowed the bread to
rise for an additional 2 hours.  I then baked it in the machine and it was
again delicious, even though the texture was different.

The only thing that I did differently between the two cookings was measuring
out the ingredients, including the yeast, and allowing them to sit on the
counter for approximately four hours while I went for an appointment.

My husband and I really like this bread and would appreciate any advice you
can give to help me fine tune the recipe.

TIA,
Joy Alexander
Swansea, SC