Fres ground flour

BILLPOTE@aol.com
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:56:44 EDT
v101.n049.10
While traveling in Germany this summer, I came across a really interesting
grain mill called the Fidibus.  It was inverted by Wolfgang Mock and actually
contains grinding stones.  Upon returning to the US, after some negotiating,
I persuaded Wolfgang to send a couple of mills to me (a baking friend wanted
one, too).

Without being too wordy I must say that I have been fascinated with fresh
ground flours since I tried the grain mill on our Kitchen Aid.  It always
seemed like a lot of extra work to get out the KA, grind and then clean it
up.  The Fidibus had lots of appeal since it is a beautiful beech wood
appliance (about the size of a toaster) which we all would be proud to leave
on our counters.

To make a long story short, I have been amazed at the difference fresh ground
flour makes in bread, pancakes and muffins.  Although any form of milling
creates heat, stone grinding is somewhat cooler than steel and therefore
preserves additional flavors and nutrients.  Most health food stores (Whole
Foods) carry a nice variety of wheat, oat, barley, rye, etc., berries.

My basic method of bread making now is grinding about one cup barley, one cup
oats and one cup wheat and mixing with 1 cup unbleached white flour, two
teaspoons yeast and two cups + water to create a poolish.  Let this,
semi-batter rest for 30 to 40 minutes while the yeast works and the fresh
ground flours find a happy medium with the water.  Add two teaspoons salt and
knead in about two cups unbleached white flour- till you have good dough.
Let it rise once or twice and form into loaves and bake at 450F for
about 25 to 30 minutes.  This is the best thing I done to bread flavors since
sourdough and of course, it requires no starter.

I will be happy to share my recipes and experiences with others.  If you
would like to purchase a Fidibus Stone Mill, I may be able to arrange that as
well.

Digger
billpote@aol.com