3 tasty recipes to try

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:33:06 -0800
v101.n052.7
Yogurt Whole Wheat Bread
Italian Herb Bread #1
Rustic Country Bread (Hercules Bread)

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Yogurt Whole Wheat Bread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                            Bread Machine
                  Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Low Fat

                          1-1/2 Loaf:
       3/4  C             Plain Nonfat Yogurt
       1/4  C             Warm Water
     1      Tbsp          Vegetable Oil
     1 1/2  Tbsp          Maple Syrup
     1 1/8  C             Whole Wheat Flour
     1 2/3  C             Bread Flour
     1 1/2  Tbsp          Wheat Germ
     1      Tsp           Salt
     1 1/2  Tsp           Yeast

Put together into the baking basket of your bread machine according to
manufacturer's directions and start.

                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Cal 135.5
Total Fat 1.8g
Sat Fat 0.3g
Carb 25.3g
Fiber 2.1g
Pro 5g
Sod 190mg
CFF 11.8%

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Italian Herb Bread #1

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                            Bread Machine
                  Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Low Fat

     1 1/2  C             Water
     3      Tbsp          Powdered Milk
     2      Tbsp          Margarine -- Or
                          Olive Oil
     2      Tbsp          Sugar
     1 1/2  Tsp           Salt
     4      C             White Flour
     1 1/2  Tsp           Dried Marjoram
     1 1/2  Tsp           Dried Basil
     1 1/2  Tsp           Dried Thyme
     1 1/4  Tsp           Yeast

Put into bread machine according to manufacturer's directions and start,

                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Cal 141
Total Fat 2.2g
Sat Fat 0.6g
Carb 26.3g
Fiber 1.2g
Pro 3.8g
Sod 224mg
CFF 13.9%

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Rustic Country Bread (Hercules Bread)

Recipe By     : KCODY63@aol.com
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Low Fat
                  Bread-Bakers Mailing List

       1/2  Teaspoon      active dry yeast -- (not rapid rise)
     1      Cup           Water
     4 1/2  Cups          bread flour -- divided
     1      Cup           whole wheat flour
       1/2  Cup           rye flour
     1 1/3  Cups          Water
     2      Tablespoons   honey
     1      Tablespoon    kosher salt -- (or 2 tsp. table
                          -- salt)
                          Coarse cornmeal for sprinkling on the
                          -- peel

Sponge:
Dissolve yeast into 1 C.  tap water in a medium-size bowl.  Mix in 1
C.  bread flour and the whole wheat flour to create a stiff, wet
dough.  Cover with plastic wrap; let sit at room temperature for at least 5
hours, preferably overnight.  (Can be refrigerated, but return to room temp
before continuing recipe).

Dough:
Mix remaining 3 1/2 C.  bread flour, 1/2 C.  rye flour, 1 1/3 C. water,
honey, and the sponge with rubber spatula [**I used a wooden spoon] in the
bowl of an electric mixer.  Knead, using dough-hook attachment, on lowest
speed until dough is smooth, about 15 minutes, adding SALT during final 3
minutes [**don't forget--I did once].  Transfer dough to large bowl; cover
with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled, at least 2 hours.  Turn dough
onto a lightly floured surface.  Lightly dust hands and top of dough with
flour.  Lightly press dough into a large disk and fold the edges into the
center, overlapping edges slightly.  Transfer dough, smooth side down, to
colander or basket lined with heavily floured muslin.  Cover loosely with
large sheet of aluminum foil; let rise until almost doubled, at least 45
minutes.  As soon as the dough begins to rise, adjust oven rack to
low-center position and arrange quarry tiles or pizza stone on rack
(minimum size 18x12). On the lowest oven rack, place a small baking pan or
cast-iron skillet to hold water.  Heat oven to 450 F.  Sprinkle
coarse cornmeal liberally over surface of peel (or rimless cookie
sheet).  Invert dough onto peel and remove muslin.  Use scissors or
serrated knife to cut three slashes on top of dough. Slide dough from the
peel onto tiles.  Wearing oven mitts, carefully add 2 cups of hot water to
the pan or skillet.  Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in
bread registers 210 F [**I don't have one] and crust is very dark
brown, 35 to 40 minutes, turning bread around after 25 minutes if not
browning evenly.  Turn oven off, open door, and let bread remain in oven 10
minutes longer.  Remove from oven, then let cool to room temperature before
slicing, about 2 hours.

[**I just estimate when it's done, since my thermometer doesn't react to
the temperature change fast enough.  I know the recipe looks long, but it's
really very easy (especially if you have a mixer!).  I love this
bread--I've been looking for this type of bread with the chewy texture and
large holes for a while.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/docs/recipes/fatfree/breads-yeast/rustic-bread

busted by KCODY63@aol.com

NOTES : Cal 184.2