Christmas bread

Ellen Lee <leep@mkl.com>
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:46:23 -0500
v101.n059.9
I experimented with adaptation of the Buttermilk Bread for ABM as the
basic recipe and came up with a loaf of holiday bread that is
scrumptious! Actually, it could be used for toast any time of the
year. It is not particularly sweet as I made it, but very sugary
fruits and more maple syrup would suit most any sweet tooth.  My
adaptation:

Fruit-and - Nut Buttermilk Bread for ABM

1 cup fresh buttermilk (or 1 1/4 cup warm water plus 3 Tbsp powdered
buttermilk)
1/4 cup hot water (omit if powdered buttermilk is used)
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tsp Lora Brody Sourdough Bread Enhancer (optional)
1 Tbsp Fermipan instant yeast
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries*
1/2 cup preserved citron*

If using fresh buttermilk, add to it hot water, salt, maple syrup.
Stir to combine. Pour into ABM.
(If using powdered buttermilk, add salt and maple syrup to warm water
and pour into ABM).
Combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, sourdough bread enhancer,
powdered buttermilk (if using that option).
Spoon dry ingredients over wet ingredients in ABM.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; put yeast in the well.
Sprinkle chopped nuts around the periphery of the dry ingredients.
Set ABM for 2 lb. loaf, white bread, "add extras". Start machine.
Put as many dried cranberries in the extras bin as will fit.
When you hear the cranberries being deposited, open the lid of the
ABM and add the rest of the cranberries and the citron. Close lid.

* Substitute any dried and/or preserved fruits.  Larger fruits, e.g.,
dates, figs, apricots should be chopped into smaller bits.

Note: I plan to add 1 tsp. ground cardamom to the dry ingredients
next time I make this. If I were using raisins, I would add 1 or 2
tsp(s) cinnamon to the dry ingredients. I use a Breadman Ultimate
ABM, and the loaf came out high, dense and chewy, and golden brown,
as close to perfection as I can imagine it could get. It makes
out-of-this-world toast!